Home Page About Us FAQs Training Newsroom Downloads Contact Us Links Projects Vacancies Find Clubs Events
Log in
Frequently Asked Questions
North Wales Regional Office West Wales Regional Office South East Wales Regional Office

Go Back

Q: How do I go about finding suitable premises to run our after school club what rules and regulations must we make sure we pass?


If your local school is not able to accommodate a club then look in the locality for community buildings, youth service premises, church halls or any other suitable premises which are safe, secure, and suitable for the purpose. The building needs to have adequate space, be in an appropriate location, and offer access to the necessary facilities for a range of activities, which promote children’s development.


The premises need to be clean, well lit, with adequate natural lighting, adequate ventilation and be maintained in a suitable state of repair and decoration. The rooms used for out of school care have to be for its sole use during the hours of operation. There needs to be 1 toilet to every 10 children.


The registered person has to ensure that local planning and building control requirements are met and there needs to be access to a telephone on the premises. This could be a mobile telephone provided there is adequate coverage within the premises in use.


The National Minimum Standards for Regulated Childcare sets out the basic standards required.  You can access them from Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW).

Free Membership