Home Page About Us FAQs Training Newsroom Downloads Contact Us Links Projects Vacancies Find Clubs Events
Log in
Frequently Asked Questions
North Wales Regional Office West Wales Regional Office South East Wales Regional Office

Go Back

Q: What food do we have to provide in our day care nursery and holiday club? Do my staff all have to have a food hygiene certificate?


The registered person ensures that children receive food and drink, which is properly prepared, nutritious and in compliance with dietary and religious requirements. This is a requirement of the national minimum standards. Fresh drinking water has to be available to children at all times.


All food has to be stored safely and if snacks and drinks are provided, the registered person needs to request information from parents about any special dietary requirements, preferences or allergies, the child may have. Where these exist, the registered person has to make a record and take heed of the information provided. Children attending all day should be offered a midday meal or packed lunch, which can be provided by parents. Parents are advised of what can be stored safely. There needs to be a facility whereby children can sit at tables for their meals.


Any member of staff who is responsible for preparing food must have an up to date Food Safety in Catering Certificate. The Food Standards Agency provide up to date information on legislation relating to food & hygiene. www.foodstandards.gsi.gov.uk

Free Membership